Thursday, January 31, 2013

Freeing up space by wall mounting the TVs - all of them!

Ok, the projects have been mapped out and we have a plan.  I figure mapping out the plan is half the battle.  Ha!  Well, at least it gives me something to shoot for.  We decided to upgrade and wall mount the TVs - which doesn't sound like a big deal, until you times it by 5!  The tv-mounting-wizard came yesterday to start moving all the electrical outlets and cable hookups up the walls, so that we don't have wires hanging all over the place.  Did I mention we have 5 to do? oh yeh, I did.  Well he was there for what seemed like forever.  Two TVs are actually mounted to the walls, 3 to go, but I want to paint the walls in those rooms first.  The good news is that paint colors are picked out.  See I told you I had a plan.

The wall in the family room also had to have drywall work done before we could get that TV up.  What I thought would be easy: bang out the arch, patch the wall and paint - naturally turned into more work than I thought it would be.  That seemed to take forever too.  So I started feeling like this was an OMG this will take forever project and for good reason, it has!

Started with this:



I know, I know, it was God awful looking.  Makes me happy that we are transforming the "guy's place" when I see how sad this room looked.  Thus the reason for "the plan" for most of the house. Room by room it will slowly but surely end up eventually looking better (I hope!).  My plan for this wall in the family room was as follows. Take down that arch over the fireplace and remove that ugly mirror.  Get rid of the monster TV and ugly stand in the corner.  Remove everything from the bookshelves on the right, so that they can be styled with something a bit more lovely, etc.  It sounds easy enough, but let's start with that ugly arch.  It was a bugger. 

 

I give you the shot of the during - while we hit Best Buy and proceeded to spend a bloody fortune on upgrading a few TVs.  Throw in the mounts, installers, things like a new Blue Ray, cables and yep - it adds up to a small fortune.  In fact we might have been able to buy a small island for the amount we spent at Best Buy.  Ok, maybe not.


So finally, we have the FR TV actually mounted.  Actually done twice (mo money, mo money) because the 1st guy that installed it, had wires coming down through the mantle.  The 2nd team came in and did a much better job.  Wires now all tidy and hidden - just requires another little patch job.  After all this, I am sitting here thinking....does a family really need 5 TVs????  oddly enough, ours does.  Quite sure this says something twisted about us.  As does what's on the screen - my favorite guilty pleasure, Bravo, where watching Jeff Lewis makes me feel much more normal.

No comments: