Friday, January 17, 2014

My zebra rug, aka "Zebie"

I have had a long term love affair with zebra rugs.  It started when I was about 12 and went to babysit for a cool young couple new to our little city.  I walked into their LR and it was there I saw my very first zebra rug.  I thought it was one of the most beautiful amazing things I had ever seen.  Now, as I flip through my files of favorite LRs, there is often a consistent display of a zebra rug, center stage.  I always say some things just always seem to stay the same.  Should I say, except husbands? :) 

So last year, when my super FAB new husband asked me what I would like as a wedding present.....I didn't skip a beat.  My immediate response was "a zebra".  He said something like "a real zebra"????  I believe he was actually thinking he might need to explain that our strict deed restrictions would prohibit a zebra living here.  He may have actually even been relieved that the deed restrictions were in place, which is when I told him that I meant a zebra rug.  I guess he probably wondered about a woman who would ask for a zebra rug over so many other gift possibilities, but he married me anyway.  I started researching zebra rugs, where to get the best of the bunch, how to get then legally into the country, etc.  The more I read, the more I was determined.  I learned it would a) be expensive b) take some time to get it to me and 3) came in a variety of sizes.  None of this discouraged me in my quest to have one be mine.

so - let's get to the good part of the story.  My sisters and I walk into a consignment shop we occasionally hit and my sister says to me "hey, there's your zebra rug".  Have you ever seen a lunatic running through a consignment shop to get to something?  Yes, that was me.  The Fab Mr S was out on the golf course when I whipped out my Iphone and sent him the pic and a msg "found him".  I'm thinking to myself, gee I really hope he's playing super well today :)  message back - "buy it".  So he came home with me that day and has been with me ever since.  And I love him .... almost as much as I love that man who bought him for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A Zebra rug? Does the rug have that soft, felt texture of actual zebra hair? Wow! This is unique. Congratulations on the marriage, by the way. Just a heads up, with it being an actual zebra fur rug, it’s going to require special attention in cleaning so as to avoid the hairs falling off. Good job on the find! Finally, you got your wish. :)

Betty Watson

Anonymous said...

You and your followers may want to consider donating to this organization,seeing as how you enjoy using wildlife parts as décor ,and are contributing to the exploitation of Africa's natural resources. This organization may help to conserve other rare spices parts that you may "crave" as a future wedding present.

http://www.awf.org/wildlife-conservation/zebra