Thursday, May 24, 2012

The ruined sisal rug :( and my solution

I thought I was safe putting a white slip covered sofa in the TV room.  Twins watch TV in there, the couch eventually gets dirty and is washed and bleached and looks brand new.  So far, that's working like a charm.  What did not work like a charm was my brilliant move to put a light colored sisal rug down in the same space.  Definitely should have gone with a darker colored, as in won't show the dirt, rug down in there.  Red jello spill on the sisal and I tried everything to lift the red off the surface, but nothing worked.  Then I thought - hey as a last resort maybe Oxy Clean.  Didn't take whatever type of coloring they put in jello out, but it did take all the color out of the sisal.  Take a look:


It's a good thing I love my daughter, who has sworn she will never again eat red jello while watching TV.  So next up, I'm thinking well....the only thing I can do is paint it or cover it.  I liked the idea of painting a black diagonal diamond pattern on the rug, but knew I would never find the time.  I chose the easier route, just find something suitable to cover it up.

When I ran into TJ's to get those purple pillows for the guest room, I spy a dhurrie rug with colors that would work.  I quickly decide to buy it because I figure for $50, it it worked it would be a quick fix.  Take a look below at the perfect color palette for the room.


LOVED the orange, black and white and even the blue.  So I now stratigically try both ways I can place the rug to cover the spot.  First up - vertical.


I liked it on the veritcal, but then ultimately ended up changing it to this.  Also decided to buy the twins 2 little Ikea cheapo Lack tables (how can they possibly make and distribute these for $7.99?) and figure they can each have a table for their TV snacks.  Note: the tables are put side by side when not being used for snack time.  The twins love the tables and hey who cares if they wreck them....at that price they are almost considered disposable.


I like the color it adds to the room and figure the spot on the sisal can easily be hidden if we ever elect to put it in a BR in the future.  Plan to plop the bed right over that ugly white spot.

No comments: