Monday, February 24, 2014

Living Room Progress at the Beach Place

Since I am not at the beach place all that often, I find it's hard to make progress.  That being said, I recently looked at some before and after pics and thought to myself, despite the fact it's not completely done, I have made progress.


The picture above must include a short story, which served as my inspiration.  Several years ago, while working as a fundraiser, I had the pleasure of meeting a couple who were super philanthropists.  They also happened to have excellent taste! One thing I quickly learned in my role as a major gifts fundraiser, dealing with donors who often had tremendous wealth, was that money did not buy good taste.  I remember the first time I entered their beautiful penthouse that faced the most glorious view of the Gulf of Mexico, I thought "wow".  While I had been in many fabulous homes, theirs was the most cheerful home, full of color and just stunning.  Jean and Lawrence impressed me with not just their good taste and beautiful cheerful home, but also as genuinely wonderful people.  While I NEVER thought I would have the chance to have my only little place on the beach (after all I was a poor solo mother at the time), I remember thinking that one day if I ever won the Lotto, I too would want with a beautiful view of the water and would want it filled with color.

While I did not win the Lotto, I somehow was blessed with a life that a decade later afforded me a little place at the beach.  Not a penthouse, nor a beautiful grand building like Jean and Laurie's, but my own little view and guess what I did? Yep - made it colorful.  Sort of my tribute to my continued friendship with Jean.  Her husband, who has now passed away, gave me an original painting he had painted and to this day it hangs in my little place and reminds me of him, his generosity and his kind, magnetic personality.  The rest of the shots just remind me of Jean - cheerful, full of life and the kind of woman who remains always interesting and ageless.

A couple of shots of what I started with, canary yellow, some light green and very dark trim.



And a few more of the after shots - definitely still a work in progress.



And as we sit and enjoy a glass of wine or Jean's favorite champagne, I often think of them while taking in this view.


And at sunset.....I realize you don't need to win the Lotto to have a dream or two come true.  Here's to inspirational people who come into your life and also to the power of many gallons of white paint!
 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great story :-)

I had never seen the before shots - WOW!
Can't wait to come back and stay again!

YH

Katy said...

I agree - great story! and I loooooove all the colors, that orange is so fabulous!
:)