Sunday, February 16, 2014

Our Compromise on the Purple Tween Room

So everyone in Blogland knows that the color of the year picked by Pantone is "Radiant Orchid" and SW listed "Exlcusive Plum".  However long before those purples were picked, my tween girl had decided she wanted her room purple.  Have I mentioned I am not a fan?  As a little girl, she had blown through her pink stage and now the tween wanted a more teenager looking room.  So, when we moved into the new place - we took an old guest room that looked like this:



We removed everything from the room except the mattress.
Saved the Persian rug and the red bench, with both going to the other twin's room....everything else donated or put on CL.
 
Then the discussion came back to purple walls.  Have I mentioned I am not a fan? :) oh yes, I guess I have!  So I start trying to sway her to a VERY light shade of purple with maybe some grey/light purple in the bedding.  Then she starts in on the fact that she loves real color and wants real purple.  I think this was when I opened a bottle of wine and poured myself a glass.  The poor child is as determined as I am and I decided it was one of those "pick your battles" moments.
I also know that there will be much bigger battles that I choose to not back down on - so I give you our compromise on the purple room.
 
One purple wall, the balance in white. 
Purple and white sheets and a wildly colorful comforter. 
Purple bed skirt fabric is purchased, I just need to find time to drop it at the fabric wizard's workshop. 
White headboard and her old white desk and table tone it down a bit more.
The rug is the real deal.  It came from a relative in the Middle East and was given to my mother. It resided at our summer house in Northern Michigan.  When I asked her for it, it was never sent my way.  When her grandchild asked for it for her room, it was promptly mailed.  Grandchildren certainly have more clout.
 
Random shots:
 
 
So these are pics above are the views I have of her room from the kitchen. 
Our compromise is she keeps the hoarding to a minimum and places all her teen stuff or mess either in her closet or on the wall I do not see unless I am actually in the room
 
 

 
And in my attempt to repurpose useable items
 here was an old mirror on it's way to Goodwill

 

Now living in it's lovely shade of purple (behind a door).
Sort or reminds me of:
"Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the smartest of them all"??
She is!

No comments: