Friday, April 20, 2012

Closet Challenged!

Don't die of shock that I actually am posting twice in 2 days - rare for me I know.  But I had been thinking about something that I wanted to share with all my closet whore friends......you all know who you are!!

When I moved into this reno project, I knew that closet space would be something I would have to adjust to.  A couple of shots of my old closet (not as tidy as it could have been when I took these shots):



One whole side just for shoes and purses!

Then the shift to the 1950's house with teeny-tiny closets in most of the BRs.  I moved into a closet space that was 3' deep and not even 5' long and had 1 bar for clothing.  Obvious my 10 wardrobe boxes were not going to be accommodated :)  So, I got all motivated to purge, purge, purge - called the closet company and had them come out and build in 2 closets (one is in the spare BR).  Then I got even more inspired to continue the purge, when I watched some organizational maniac on Nate say that most people really only wear about 25 basic things over and over.  After thinking about it, I went to my closet/s and pulled out what I typically wear and realized the maniac was right.  I do tend to go to the same favorites - basics mostly with a few zips of color.  So just for the hell of it, I thought I would show you the closet that serves me now:


Since the spare BR now also has built-ins,  I use that as well, but honestly almost everything I need is in this one confined space.  In fairness, I must admit that I also have a large dresser that houses quite a bit too.  I also realize that there are more than 25 items in here - but a huge downsize when you figure that I started with 10 wardrobe boxes filled to the brim.

The plan is that when we renovate the 2 small BR's into 1 Master - there will be a much better closet system and closet man will incorporate both of these built in systems into the new closet area.  But the moral of the story is that teeny-tiny closets forced me to purge huge amounts of clothes, shoes and bags that I rarely used. 

And for all my friends who are true closet whores - and I won't name names here (smile), be grateful that you can continue to hoard those clothes in your HUGE closets.  I only did this because I was forced to!!


1 comment:

Erin L. said...

What did you do with all the rest of your clothes....save them for your niece, I hope!