Thursday, December 8, 2011

Twelve Days of Christmas - Day 3

Another step toward a completed TV room that we actually like to go into and enjoy.  I guess it looked so bad when I first started, the task of improving the space without a huge budget seemed a bit overwhelming.  A complete report and shots of the finished room by the end of this month - I'm waiting for one more thing to arrive before I can show the entire space.  

until that time.....a sneak peek of my recent solution to the BIG blank white wall behind the sofa.  I had hoped to have a large contemporary piece of art done for the space - but I decided that this month was not the month to blow my wad on new art. 

 A few weeks ago my sister had put this in a garage sale:



When I mentioned I liked the poster and especially the colors - her response was "take it".  So my free poster was the beginning.  I knew it wasn't large enough for the wall, but decided that I could let my creative juices flow and come up with something that would work as an interim solution.  So, a quick trip to IKEA for some frames came next.  I get home to find that the matting is just a wee bit to large for the print I have to work with.  Next up a trip out to pick up some black poster board and ta-da my little vision turns into this:




and a close up , so that you can see how the black poster board not only serves as a filler for the .25" shortage once the print was cut into the 4 individual squares.  It actually looks like it's double matted.



Total cost for my short-term solution to art ..... until I can purchase that contemporary painting that is out there waiting for me:

4 IKEA Ribba frames $80.
Poster Board $2.
Poster FREE (Thanks MB and CW, who long ago gave it to MB)

I'm very happy to have completed the project for $82 and every time I see the cheerful color on the wall it makes me happy.  Can't wait to add up what I have ended up spending on the entire room - but I'm contently finding inexpensive solutions for the space.  Truth is, every single budget minded find I come up with, makes me just as happy as spending small fortunes on things as I once did in a former life.  Maybe even more happy! :)


1 comment:

Yvette said...

What a wonderful idea for the common folk out here :) this should go down with the classic blogs on how to do something easy (it looked easy!), practical , and affordable. You may not realize this, but choosing what to hang and where to hang it can be daunting for us!! Loved it!
P.s. Noticed the 'splash' of orange in the pillows -
Very nice!!