Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Bar at the Beach Place

Anyone who knows me and yes, that is most of the people who read this little blog, all know that there is always an open bar open at my place.  Any time of day.  I'm all about living in a "non judge zone" and figure why not continue my tradition?  So, my mission for the little beach place was to find something that could serve as a bar and also have a dual purpose of storage for linens.  I had been looking for just the right piece for some time and finally......Bingo.  Found something at a consignment shop. 

Not exactly sure why it is I cannot find "easy" at a consignment shop.  I loved the size and style of the piece and it was an older piece and solid as they come.  Made me think of the whole "Mad Men" trend, despite the fact that I have never seen the show.  My friends have told me about it, so I imagine the scene and anything that looks 50s-60s makes me think of that era.

Back to my find.  I see this cool little console, but it's almond wood and not in a good way.  Here's the before:

Open shelving inside, allows for the linens/pillows that go on the big hide-a-bed in the room.
The piece had been sitting in the place for quite a long time and it was marked down to $125.  Would have been great if I loved the color, but I bought it and had to have it professionally painted.  OK, so perhaps I could have painted it myself, but the truth is I am sick of painting just now and I really wanted to open the bar.  So off it goes to paint shop.
I then paid a delivery fee to haul it down to the beach, so another cha-ching.  But in the end,
when it was placed in the room, I thought to myself.....it's exactly what I wanted. 

Look at it now:




I had thought I would replace the original handles but they were solid brass and I really felt like they just belonged on the piece.  It's also on wheels, so can be easily moved to another location.  A moving bar - how perfect! My old PB tray from a former bar came back into my world too, as did the old ice bucket.  Some remembrances of the past are a good thing.
Didn't have huge a huge amount of time to take pics, because the workers were on site finishing up my to-do list.  Quite sure they were wondering why I was SO happy over this little bar (they are non-drinkers).  But for all my friends who have been known to enjoy a good glass of wine or martini with me.......heads up - the bar is officially open!


No comments: