Tuesday, November 19, 2013

From a Mess to a Guest

The "year of the merge" continues with the merging of two households, two families and two houses.  This summer we elected to concentrate on letting everyone just adjust to our new shared environment.  I'm pleased to report it went well.  We redecorated the twin's rooms (will show in later post/s) and decided to re-do the last room, after son G left for Grad School in Boston.  So, off he flies to start his next chapter in his life and my thoughts are - well, I really need to tackle that room before he returns for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Fast track to November with Thanksgiving and his arrival scheduled for next week.  Yikes!

Let me show you what I started with:




 
Sort of looks like a scene out of Hoarders!
 
But in fairness to a guy who keeps everything else in his world extremely neat,
I think it was his last hurrah at "let's have a mess".  Somehow he just crawled over everything and drove his father completely insane.....until I came up with a simple solution.
My suggestion - "Close the door until he leaves" :)  Worked like a charm!
 
I decide to turn this room into a guest room, that can function for anyone overnighting.....including him.   IF he can stand to walk into a room that has dramatically changed and keep it relatively clean, I think we are good to go.
 
Here's the revised version:
 
 
 
 I had all the built-ins removed, the Murphy Bed taken to the beach place
and now we have a nice comfortable bed for all to enjoy. 
 
 
 
While the room is not 100% done, I thought I had better take some pics before Son G gets home. 
It might not look quite this clean after his arrival :)
No, seriously - can't wait for him to get here and Thanksgiving fun, food and family time to begin.


3 comments:

Katy said...

it looks great! :) so where is the murphy bed going?

Teri said...

The murphy bed went to a very small BR at the beach place. It easily folds up when we don't need extra bed space - perfect!
Can't wait to see your beach place. Yee-ha!

SG said...

I love the room and the chair that you had to incorporate orange into. I am also impressed that you have written TWO posts the week before Thanksgiving.