Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My $20 chair after 20 years

About 20 years ago I found an old chair at SA for I think about $20.  Might have been half-price day, so it could have been $10.  Anyway, always loved the classic shape of the chair and it has been in my life for a long long time.  OK, that makes me sound old!  I think I was about 20 when I bought the chair.  Kidding!

I don't have a true before shot of the chair before it was upholstered the 1st time, but this is what it looked like in it's former life.  It served me well and I have always liked it and used it at my many houses.   For a while, it was even at my sister's house "on loan", which is always what I say, when I might one day want the piece back. 

So first we have this, which did look ok for the big house, classic black/animal print and all:


 
However I needed a "sticky chair", as my sister calls a chair that visually takes up little space, at the beach place.  So, off my little chair goes to the upholstery shop to be stripped, I then paint it turquoise and started looking for a bold colorful fabric.  Believe it or not, I found just what I was looking for in a bold orange and white stripe at IKEA.  You just never know what you'll find there, which is why I go in for a couple of things and leave with a car full of shit.
I teamed the fabric with some blue and white paisley that is on a couple of other chairs in the room it will land in and I now end up with an upbeat look and feel on my old chair.
Figure I'm feeling upbeat and cheerful and my chair should reflect that feeling too.
Side note: not sure why the chairs look more "wild blue" than turquoise, but fairly sure it's due to the fact my photos suck.
 
 
 
 
 
Detail of trim:
 
 
 
The new chair will sit with a pair of these chairs. 
Maybe when I take shots with good light in the beach place the new chair will really look like the true turquoise that it is.
 
 
Can't wait to see the new addition at the beach place this weekend.
And if I can remember to take my camera and find time to actually take some pictures....
I might be able to post the entire room's progress. 
One question - Why in the hell does it take me SO long to finish a space?
After all Mary McDonald finishes a room in a week.  Right?
Then again, I don't think she has twins tagging along looking for their next meal.
 


No comments: