Thursday, September 15, 2011

Another corner completed

OK, I'm digging this concept of a corner at a time.  It seems to keep me focused on completing 1-2 projects per week and ta-da.....with the week not quite over yet, I actually have a corner to post.  While I would love to finish an entire room in a week, the bottom line is I don't have a team (like Nate!) - just the twins - who sometimes are not the best of assistants.  The scary part is that they really do think they have skills and they do, I just don't want them handling some of my collections quite yet.

Back to the corner of the week:  in a corner of the LR there are a set of built-in books shelves that are dated and when we re-do the entire fireplace wall will be eliminated.  In the meantime and since I need and want to make the place look better until we can get to our very long to-do list, this is one of those projects that is meant to "spiff it up for now".  BTW, this is a term I am using a lot these days.  Another favorite being said often by the twins is one I shared with them "from drab to fab" ......sort of gives all of us hope:)

so the before shots of the dated shelving unit:




Another angle:



and despite the fact that I could not find an entire box of some of my favorite blue/white collectables (there seems to be an entire box missing, which undoubtably will eventually surface), I give you the after:





and yes, I do believe that they are ready for their close-up:



OK - since my favorite bloggers post the costs associated with their projects, I am going to try and do the same.  This one is easy to report - total cost: $6.00 - for wall paper paste.  I had white paint left over to paint the shelves with and had the wall paper left over from a former house.   Every single item on the shelves was something I had in my 2 former lives (collected or given to me as gifts over the years).  The really nice part of this project was that with every piece I placed, I remember where I got it or who gave it to me.  Some of it was purchased on trips to England, France, etc but all were purchased for a fairly low price.  The brown leather box that holds silver at the very bottom was $5. at the SA.  One of the pieces of brown transferware was given to me by my sister who bought a box of "junk" at an auction and the brown transferware bowl actually had old scrambled eggs in it.  I think she washed it before she gave it to me :)  Anyway, it was a fun project that combines some beautiful now- expensive pieces with bargains from my treasure hunting.....a true mix of high and low, which makes me smile every time I look at it.  So now, in the LR I have 2 corners completed that I can sit and gaze at with that glass of wine.  That means 2 more to go and I might give you a glimpse of the entire room.  I still have a long way to go.

Off to start the next corner - so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Erin Long said...

Looks great!