Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The story of a simple fireplace screen

For the past 4 months that I have been working on my little ugly duckling, I have been searching for a fireplace screen.  Now little did I know, that it would not be an easy task.  I thought, measure the hole - find the screen.  Well.....maybe I should say find a goodlooking screen that will properly fit the opening for a bargain price.  I looked high and low: online, HD and Lowes, consignment stores, etc.  Now mind you perhaps in the South we may not have as large of an offering because we rarely actually use a fireplace - but I swear I could not find one that a) I liked b) would fit or c) could afford. 

So what did we stare at for nearly 5 months?  This....

How pathetic!


Even when I decorated the mantle for the holidays to try and distract the wandering eye......




and even tried hanging stockings .....


The ugly big hole was what your eye was drawn to.
Kind of like a woman dressed up for a party without any shoes on....
before she's drunk and kicks them off to dance!


Despite my search for weeks, I could not find anything that would work.  Fast forward to yesterday - I run into Target (I am a huge Target lover!!) and lo and hehold.....what catches my eye but a fireplace screen.  not just any old fireplace screen, but THE one.  I look at the measurements and sure enough - it will work.  so there I am in Target trying not to do the dance of joy, grabbing the big 'ol screen and trying to balance in on the cart to check out.  Imagine this scene, me pushing cart, twins balancing the screen. 

We come home - complete with all items needed to make s'mores for the very first time, put the fireplace screen together and now have this:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it and love your posts for the new year already, you are crazy about getting them written - I am so excited to watch you go :)